Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Website That You Will Enjoy

Recently, I was told about the Community & Conflict: The Impact of the Civil War in the Ozarks website. Community & Conflict is an effort by several different Ozark organizations to digitize documents relating to the Civil War in the Ozarks so they will be readily available to researchers. The range of collections already available on the website is quite impressive, and I have spent a fair amount of time perusing them. The collections may be accessed either thematically, by county, or by battle. The collections are arranged around the following themes: agriculture, economics, guerrilla warfare, home front, refugees, medicine, military life, minorities, politics and government, reconstruction, slavery, and urbanization. Sometimes it is good to have surprises in life so rather than detail the collections for you here, I’ll just say go to the website and see for yourself. What was I most intrigued by? The papers relating to Sarah Jane Smith, a guerrilla who destroyed sections of telegraph line between Rolla and Springfield, Missouri.

In my previous post, I issued a challenge to readers. I would like to publish the results soon so send in your answers forthwith.

No comments:

Post a Comment